Twitter

Getting kids to take ownership

So to try and tackle the mounting amount of paper clutter around the house I recruited the four year old. She is the source of most paper clutter around the house and takes pride in her artwork, even the stuff that comes home from school that looks like she spent all of 2 seconds on it.
"Look at this mummy!"
"Erm, it's a line on a blank piece of paper?"
"Can we put it on the fridge?"
"Must we?"
She once caught me putting some of her artwork in the recycling and put me on orange for the rest of the day.
So to avoid this I made her make the decisions. I gathered all the loose paper from around the house and told her to put it in one of three piles. Keep, recycling or take a photo then recycling.
I thought most would end up in the keep pile.
I was wrong.
She was able to make decisions about which ones to keep and was happy for a lot of them to be photographed then discarded.
Although we are left with a bigger keep pile than I would have liked and it is currently just sitting on the sofa, she was enabled to take ownership of the sorting project.


(The photographed ones will be whittled down at a later stage and stored in a cloud app. I have recently downloaded Keepy to try out)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins.....

Can we create eco children?

Disempowerment