Twitter

Rome wasn't built in a day

There is a scene in Red Dwarf where they are about to go into status. Cat brings 11 racks of clothes, he is told he can't take all of them, they won't fit, he has to leave some behind. So he looks through the racks of clothes and pulls out the tiniest handkerchief. "I'll leave this, I guess I'll have to live without it."
This is entirely how I feel when I try to tackle the toy pile. I go through and find one toy, probably from a Happy Meal (not that I take my children to McDonalds, ahem) that they no longer play with. It seems to make no difference to the tidal wave of toys overtaking my living room. It doesn't help that there's 3 years between the kids so what one doesn't play with anymore, the other one does.
I try to get my 4 year old involved in sorting her toys but she either picks out something that is broken to give away or something that is her sister's. Though she's getting pretty good at telling me which of the scraps of paper covering her bedroom floor I'm allowed to put in the recycling!
But Rome wasn't built in a day and I feel it's just as important to develop non-materialistic and non-hoarding habits in my kids than it is to actually make big headways in decluttering straight away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins.....

Can we create eco children?

Disempowerment