Twitter

September challenge week 1 roundup

So the week started badly, I bought some of those dental floss on a stick (the stick being a handy disposable plastic holder) as I was seduced by the whitening claim. I discoloured my teeth some years ago by not reading the instructions on corsodyl to not drink tea after use. Although most of the stainage has been removed it is still quite brown inbetween my teeth where the dentist has advised only the hygienist has the tools to remove the stain from there. However as seeing the hygienist is expensive I had carelessly plumped for the cheaper more convenient option. So they'd arrived and I'd opened the packet and halfway through using one when it dawned on me that I'd basically just bought a bag of plastic to use and throw away. Fail.

On the plus side I did sign up to get some bottled orange juice from the milkman thus reducing the waste produced from tetrapak (which is recycled in our area but even recycling uses energy and has by products).
I also signed up to receive a veg box from Wonky Veg. I am a little disappointed that I did not receive any comically shaped veg but other than that everything seems great - the veg is fresh and you get quite a lot! I was happy with the quality so I've signed up to get a fruit bag for next week too.
I do realise that these two are more expensive so is not an option for everyone, however for us, it did fit within our budget. I'm also not convinced that we have in total spent anymore from our food budget, as we had so much veg I ended up cooking more rather than being reliant on things from the freezer, just so everything fit in the fridge!
Also this is the waste I've reduced by signing up to it;

This also happily coincided with the role out of a food waste caddy as the Council is reducing the main bin collection.

Just in case anyone is confused what can go in your food waste caddy it also comes with this handy leaflet.
Things that can go in the food waste caddy: food.
Things that can't go in the food waste caddy: things that are not food.
So now you know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins.....

Can we create eco children?

Disempowerment